Sunday, April 21, 2013

Grape Varietal - Tasting - Chenin Blanc


Grape Varietal – Tasting – Chenin Blanc


The wine that I chose to taste for this grape was the Barton and Gustier Vouvray 2011. I received this bottle as a gift from my mother in a bundle gift present for Christmas. The region that this grape comes from is the Vouray specific appellations of the Loire Valley of France. The bottle price was $12.95 and was purchased from a Wine and Spirits store in Pennsylvania. I would suggest that this wine is paired with a pasta with a light sauce, cheese and crackers, or anything grilled.


The color of this wine was a very light, transparent white. It was a shade of light yellow, but more of an off white rather than a yellow. The aroma of the wine was very strong and pungent. The aroma was very intense and it stung my nostrils. After swirling the glass for a while the wine opened up and the aroma became a bit less intense, but it was still overwhelming.  The very first taste was overpowering. It hurt my jaw to taste the wine initially. I did not like the taste at first but after I continued drinking it, it got less powerful. I also added a few ice cubes to make it cooler and easier to handle. As I continued to drink the wine I gained a better appreciation for it and began to enjoy it more.

The aroma of the wine was very sweet and light. Like I stated before, my nostrils stung at the first wiff but as I continued to sniff the wine I could grasp more scents and I could actually detect different accents. The scents that I could detect were very grassy, summer, fruity and sweet smells such as pears, honey, and a hint of lemon. It was a very crisp tasting wine that I really enjoyed. The wine was very strong on the mid palate. The acidity was a little strong up front, but eventually I did not notice it as much. The after taste was very pleasant and I really enjoyed the sweetness and earthy companionship of the wine.


The astringency of the wine was perfect in my opinion. I appreciated how smooth this wine was and how everything accompanied one another and reflected each other so well. The sugar and acid balance was very nice and I was not overwhelmed by the acid, even though Chenin Blanc is normally characterized by its high acidity. The sweetness of the wine was at a perfect level and was not too sugary. The alcohol content of the wine was perhaps a little too strong, but I would not complain too much about it.

I found the wine to be very sweet and delicate. It was such a light and fresh wine that it made me feel better. It stung a bit at first, but I think that is how I react to every wine no matter what it is. After the first couple sips when I clenched my jaw and squinted my face, I really began to open up to the wine and thoroughly enjoy it. It was a beautiful bouquet and I really ended up liking everything about it.


The other dominant wines of this region are Sauvignon Blanc, Melon de Bourgogne, and Cabernet Franc. The major effect on the soils and climate of this region is the Loire River and Atlantic Ocean which contributes to the temperature allowing the grapes to grow. One problem that has the potential to arise is during the spring time whenever frost can present itself. Also, during the harvesting months there is a possibility that the grapes will be harvested under ripe due to all the rainfall. Luckily for the Vouray region, it has some of the most diverse plantings of all the Loire regions and allows for a wide variety of white, red, and rose wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment